Search This Blog :

Loading...

Thursday, 25 October 2012

Nothing More Dangerous


"Nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future."

I agree and would add other dangers that threaten the human spirit are complacency.  Indifference.  Unquestioned material security.  I am terrified by such things.  Perhaps my most genuine fear, spiders aside, is the fear of growing complacent and too secure in the routine of my life.  So secure that I am blind to others needs, others pain, others in general.  So secure that I no longer think or question or grow or no longer desire healthy changes in myself.  So secure I no longer desire an element of insecurity in my existence.

I have an adventurous spirit.  Not in the physical danger\ daredevil sense of the term however and yes, I freely admit that. ;)  I am adventurous in the sense that I live my life in a willing fashion.  I feel I am willing to do what I truly want to do and willing to not be pressured into doing what I do not.  Adventurous because my soul yearns for possibilities and rebels against social norms.  "You must do this.  You must do that."  Why?  Why must we do anything?  The only thing we "must" do is live seeking the truth of why we are here in the first place.  We must strive toward constant growth.

Yesterday I turned 32 years old.  My husband and I went out for dinner and oddly enough talked about this very subject.  What does it mean to have a "secure future" and do we want any part of it?  We reached the conclusion that to us a secure future is not found in one particular place.  It is not being in one particular country or one particular home.  We discussed how we both feel that we could live anywhere and since we share our own version of an "adventurous spirit", I do believe we could.  We determined rather that the feeling of security must lie within our own hearts.  If it does then we already have a secure future in the sense that our security does not depend on  or change with outward circumstances.

I am not impressed with material wealth, fame, popularity, influence etc.  Just don't care.  I like quirky things.  I like quirky people.  I am impressed by people like Mother Teresa and Vincent Van Gogh or those who go against what society tells them they must do and make some sort of remarkable difference in the world or those who go against what society dictates and lead quiet yet remarkable lives that no one ever really hears about.  I'm all for that.  I'm all for living a normal life too by the way.  If by normal you are truly living and breathing freedom, empathy and compassion no matter what your circumstances.  Not normal in the sense of "keeping up with the Jones'"

We never know, and it's very right we don't know,  what the future will bring.  Where we will be in one year, two years, ten.

So I'm 32.  I drink a lot of tea and a lot of coffee.  I light a lot of incense.  I pray and do a lot of soul searching.  I laugh a lot.  Talk too much at times.  Imagine myself as some sort of wise wandering guru.  Acknowledge my reality is slightly different.  I have a ridiculous sense of humor and find a lot of things funny that most people do not.  I dream huge dreams and believe that I have a wealth of opportunity and possibility open to me.  I have a lot faith.  I like to really talk and am utterly bored by small talk.  I think most people are pretty interesting.  I like to travel and explore.  I adore thrift shopping and cutting my own hair.  I have a passion for Italy and India.  I love to read.  I love to write.  I like to paint.  I try to be genuine.  I sometimes find it a struggle.  I hate when things are phoney.  I'm not really a huge success in any of the things the world acclaims as important but ehh, you know, I don't really care. :)

Maybe someday I'll be your neighbor.  Someday I might live in Mumbai or Texas or some random little village in Italy.  Some day I might consider a successful day one where I've just eaten a lot of fresh mango and slept in a hammock.  In fact I'd consider that successful now.  Someday I want to live where the weather suits my clothes.  Someday I want to walk the Camino de Santiago.  Go to Lisieux.  Go to Medjugore.  Go on a hundred billion pilgrimages.  Some day I want to roam around the world again with my husband.  Someday I want to live right down the street from a Catholic church.  So yeah, someday.  Or today.  How about today? 

Anyway, gotta run.  Gotta go.  Gotta live.  Cheers Darlin'.








23 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles...happy birthday...it is nice to reach that point where we can live our own life and not worry about peer pressure or keeping up appearances...i feel you there and agree...

Grandma K said...

happy birthday. You can be my neighbour any day....

Serene McEntyre said...

Oh Colleen! First of all, Happy Birthday!! Secondly, I was thinking of this very thing this morning. That so much of my life I've longed for security and placed it in temporary things. Jobs. Money. House. Husband. Etc... But as the unexpected has happened in my life to shake to the core everything that I thought my security depended on, I'm realizing that there is no security as we tend to define it. and that's okay. You've given me a lot of food for thought and I may have to write this out to figure it out! Love you! ~Serene

Rebecca said...

OH, honey! You're 1/2 of me! (I turn 64 on Christmas Day.) But you're SO "me". Never but NEVER give up your adventurous spirit, inquiring mind, quirky nature.

Dare I hope that we'd ever be neighbors in the literal, earth-bound sense????

But in the sense that really matters (and an eternal sense) I believe we are uniquely bound.

Alicia said...

A Birthday celebration that calls for more of all the wonders you enjoy. I would love to hear your humor, over a cuppa, neighbor. Cheers to you, my friend!

Colleen said...

Brian, thank you! It's a life long progress thing.:)

Grandma K, thank you, I'd like that!

Serene, thanks! That's exactly it, we think we can find security in so many things but all of those things can be taken from us in a heartbeat. If you're willing to share, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this when you've got them down. Love you too!

Rebecca, that is one of the nicest comments I have ever received. Thank you so much. How special you have a birthday on Christmas day! I love the sound of the South and if I ever had the opportunity, would love to live there! It amazes me how the simple act of blogging can really create a special bond, what a blessing!

Alicia, thank you, I would love to someday share a cuppa with you my friend. :)

Dangerous Linda said...

Happy Birthday, Colleen! Thank you for the inspiring pep talk this morning! XOXOXOXO

Cathy Kennedy said...

Belated birthday wishes to you, my friend! I'm 30...okay, I'm the new 30 meaning...I'm ehem...really 50 years old, but yeah I so hear you on this. I love your outlook on life and allowing your spirit to soar not being dragged down by the quote norm or acceptable. You move to the beat of your own drum, as you should be. Life is way too short to worry with peer pressure or what the Jones' have, blah-blah-blah. For one to feel discontent is truly sad. The grass is never greener on the other side like some would fathom. How many times have I spouted this out to my own children. Did they listen? Sometimes and sometimes not. They had to learn this lesson for themselves the hard way. Anywho, you attitude totally rocks. It would be awesome if everyone could share in it. Thanks for visiting and offering your advice. It really helps alot, even more so after I read today's post, which is great! =D

beth said...

happy birthday...and dang girl, i wish you were MY neighbor !!!

Lauren Davenport said...

Happy Birthday :) Great post - I love your honesty and wonderful outlook on life. Bless you.

Cheyenne said...

Oh---the happiest of birthdays to you! it would be such a blessed day when you would live down the road, until then, I know we are neighbours of heart...

Peggy said...

Happy Birthday late! I think you are wonderful just like you are. And so very talented in writing and painting.

Bee's Blog said...

Happy Birthday Colleen! What a refreshing soul you are are and what spirit!

I know about loss of security. About the loss of homes, cars, assets, luxury and the trappings of great wealth. It can be gone in an instant and it was. What got me through and continues to get me through? My faith (Catholicism) and sheer bloody mindedness. Had we laid too much store on our wealth, I could have understood it - but we didn't. We shared, gave and provided. Maybe the lesson we had to learn was over generosity can be a fault. The Man upstairs stripped us bare but I know that he will not abandon us. He told me who my friends were, where my priorities should lie and most of all to have faith.

Here endeth the lesson........... you can be my neighbour anytime!

Colleen said...

Linda, thank you, anytime. ;)

Cathy, wow, thank you so much for all that encouragement! You're right, there are so many things we simply must learn for ourselves, aren't there? I wish you luck with your decision!

Beth, thank you! I'd love sitting on your porch with a cup of tea, you wouldn't be able to be rid of me.:)

Lauren, thank you and bless you too.

Cheyenne, beautiful photo by the way! Thank you for the bday wishes "neighbor of my heart". :) I love that!:)

Pegg, that's kind, thank you!

Bee, thank you. I am sorry you had to experience such great losses in your life and yet thankful and inspired that you have not lost the most important thing, that faith has maintained you. I feel the same and throughout the various stuggles we've experienced too, there were some days that that was truly all that was keeping things together. God bless, I really look forward to getting to know you!

Rachna said...

Such an insightful post, Colleen. Isn't security a huge dilemma. I want to have my future as well as that of my kids secure. Yet, I am the rebellious sort, and I want to live life on my own terms. So, I am a freelance writer and an entrepreneur. And, I am loving it. Hubby also struggled to find that inner happiness so he quit his cozy software job and started his own tiny business with me. It is a roller coaster ride, but I guess we are doing what our heart desires.

Zuzana said...

Dear Colleen, I am sorry I have not visited for a while, simply am too busy living these days.
But when I finally do come back here, I realise how much I have missed your wonderful writing that SO resonates with me.;) We are kindred souls and I so get you - I am an adventurous soul, even though I find solace in routines, to know exactly what lies ahead of me is the scariest future I can imagine. Now, I am more than a decade older than you, but in retrospect I have truly lived a different life than most and would not had it any other way. i am just starting my life over again for the hundredths time and i am happy doing it. Feel the same about those physical adrenaline rushes too btw, I leave that to my husband.;)
Happy belated birthday and just continue that "carpe diem" gorgeous.;)
Have a great weekend,
xoxo

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, happy belated birthday. What a insight of a post. Thank you for sharing. I have been out of a job for close to a year without sucess in finding a job. So, I know what you are talking about. Hugs.

That corgi :) said...

Happy belated birthday! I did enjoy reading this entry of yours; I think it is so easy to get into complacency; I think it is wise as you are doing to evaluate your life and make sure you live it the best way you want to live every day of it :)

wishing you wonderful adventures in the days ahead in this new year of life!

betty

Silverfaerie said...

Happy Birthday! I'm visiting from the Thirsty for Comments Thursday hop and am so glad you linked up!

Being 35 myself, I can really relate to the things you write about in this post. I think it's the type of thing one considers around this age. Where have we been? How it's not really at all how we thought it would be. Growing more comfortable in our own skin and not allowing others to affect the direction of our lives as much. I actually just published a post about just that.

Looking forward to seeing more from you. Will be visiting again :)

mary333 said...

There's a cool old farmhouse for sale down the street from me. And while I'm plugging New Hampshire - I have not one but TWO red covered bridges at the end of my road (plus a lake).

Just sayin ;)

Happy Birthday, Colleen!

LL Cool Joe said...

The only security we have in life is that God loves us, and that if we love him we will eternal life. :) There is never any security in material things.

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi Colleen... sorry I missed your birthday, but it is not too late to wish you a great year ahead.

I loved this post. You are an incredible woman. Really, I'd love to meet you face to face someday.

Love
Lidia

melissa said...

Oh, this is so you Colleen. I wish I had the same adventurous spirit but I'm still discerning over a very important matter in my life right now.

Yesterday, I found myself pulling out some images from my Vision Board... maybe some things don't fit at this moment. Only God knows.

Surprise me... us... yourself ;) I'd really love one :)