Search This Blog :

Thursday, 23 September 2010

Last September 25th



It was almost exactly a year ago that we learned of William's existence. Imagine that this tiny boy had already been in the world three months without our having had the faintest idea. Imagine that each day of those three months that we struggled and grew weary of the lethargy waiting created in our lives; when our patience began to wear extremely thin with ourselves and others and everything around us; when getting up in the morning felt like a dreary chore and the day that lay ahead seemed long, contentious, grey and boring; when we though that our prayers would never be answered: he was already alive!

A couple of days after we got "the call" we received the above picture. The first picture of William ever taken. He was exactly three months old. I remember looking at it and not being able to comprehend it all. I remember showing it proudly to everyone, carrying it in my pocket until it was crumpled and smudged with finger prints and kisses, until it was covered in wonder and excitement and anticipation. I could feel his soft skin, smell its freshness. I memorized the curve of his cheek and the sweet expression on his face, the color of his skin. I hid the picture away and then couldn't resist it and pulled it back out again to look at and giggle in giddy excitement. A hundred times a day.

It was like the most delicious secret to have this blurry rather unexceptional photograph, except it wasn't a secret at all, everyone knew. It was the highest of emotional highs.

Beaming...radiant...joyful...grateful...

What did we ever do to deserve such happiness?

17 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

Crying with joy for you. Your love for him is beyond beautiful.

Sesselja said...

Ah, bless, you can see his cheeky look even at that young age.
I was so happy for you when the news came, knowing how long those last months had been for you. And to think it's already a year ago!

Ellinor said...

Oh, my - gorgeous :) I am so looking forward to our time

Michael Khatcherian said...

God bless you all. You are an adorable family whom I am proud to know

Mariannes blogg said...

Gratulerer så mye!
Lykke <3
Måtte felle noen rørt tårer bare med å se lille bildet på blogglisten min:D
Så velsignet vi er:)

Janet said...

I love those big cheeks. Even back then he looked like a happy boy :o) Love you guys and can't wait to meet him! :o)

Olga Marie said...

Ååå så godt jeg husker den dagen!Jan Henrik kom og viste meg den fantastiske meldingen =)
Veldig glad for dere!

Crown of Beauty said...

It is clear to see he's a gift from heaven tailor made just for you and Per.

Only when we reach heaven someday will we know the full story!

Meanwhile, enjoy the love and the miracle!

Love
Lidj

Modesty is Pretty said...

Wow, what a wonderful story, I can imagine you with the picture, to think how much he was loved by you even before he met you, you are a true mother, thank you for sharing this.

Mats said...

Beautifully written, Colleen. I'm feeling the same loss of words when i sit on the floor in the livingroom, just observing Tuva playing.

We're so incredibly lucky!

Colleen: said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments. Hearing from you just makes my day that much brighter.:)

Angela said...

.Colleen, could you also pray for God's leading, direction, wisdom and discernment, with perseverance to follow the path that He is leading me..I sense He is leading to full time ministry and I do NOT want to rush ahead....

Colleen: said...

It would be my pleasure Angela.

Robin said...

I read several of your posts. Having read them, it has helped me to understand just how much of a blessing this sweet little child is in your life. I suppose if you had been able to have a child of your own, then he wouldn't have the gift of you and your husband for parents. All things happen for a reason. We don't understand it at the time, but I can see the joy here in your post and in his eyes. Looks like love to me.

Lori said...

Oh the joy! :) What a special gift he is. You deserve this happiness and joy in your life. I am grateful & happy for you and him! :) XX

Sarah said...

beautiful post! And I had a picture like that once, smudged with finger-prints and kisses. :)

Colleen: said...

Robin, Lori, and Sarah, thank you for your beautiful comments.