Search This Blog :

Sunday, 8 August 2010

A Baby Raised By Wolves (Portrait of a Thirteen Month Old Boy)



Or bears for that matter. Or...us.

I admit there are days that I think William acts like a boy raised by a pack of wolves. Yes, his manners are sometimes just that bad: loud belches and other noises best left to the imagination at the table or spitting on the priest when being blessed at communion time in church. He is by far the loudest child I have ever encountered. That being said, these things are all done with great enthusiasm, wild laughter and a spirit of silly fun. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse though. He certainly delights in his mischievous behavior and seems quite oblivious to the excellent manners that I, being a good Canadian, am eager for him to learn.

He has mastered the fine art of guttural growling for a few months now but more recently has begun to growl in response to the word "no". He understands no but something in him rebels against our daring to say such a thing to him. For a while every time we said no in a firm voice, his eyes would narrow and he would turn what he imagined an intimidating glare upon us and a deep, churning growl would come from his throat. Then he would settle back satisfied he had made his point. But we bravely persevered. Now when we say no, he seems more resigned but still gives a quick sullen low growl and more often then not, stops his offending behavior. Hey, we'll take whatever small victories we can get around here. ;)

What else? Ah yes, he has added another excellent piece to his conversational repertoire. At the table over breakfast one morning in a state of high excitement over the taste of jam on bread, he slammed his fists down on the table, eyes blazing fearfully and shouted out what sounded like "Mother Calcutta". I can imagine that by using that along with "hyena", "mama", and "dada", he will be able to create a marvelous sentence. Maybe he'll be a creative writer or a charismatic speaker or the dictator of a small country when he grows up. We can only dream...

I should add though that even in the midst of the craziness his waking hours entail, there are quiet moments of absolute sweetness as well. Soft baby boy sweetness, with his small head resting against my shoulder as he wakes up slowly from sleep or watches his mentor, Mowgli from the Jungle Book, on TV. Sweet little songs he sings while playing or sitting in his stroller. His beautiful, crooked little smile and the way his face lights up when he sees Per or me. Chubby little arms around my neck. So you see it isn't all wildness although some days it feels like it.

And this William, is a silly, tongue-in-cheek, imperfect attempt at describing your energy, playfulness, stubbornness, and sweetness. This is you at 13 (and a half) months old.


12 comments:

kate said...

He he! Quite a little man! Can't wait to see him again and hear that growl!

Life with Kaishon said...

Awwwwwwww. Well, wether it is wolves, bears, or humans that are raising him, just look at how perfect he is turning out. Your cub is the sweetest.

Judi Dudek said...

Well, Colleen, all I see/hear is that this boy is a True Wilson Boy! Happy and healthy, whatever sounds he's making. Of course he also gets these sound making talents from his Aunty Mary-Anne...whew that girl, I tell ya. He is so blessed to have you and you him...enjoy, 'cause believe you me to "sounds" are only going to increase as his size increases! LOL Kisses all around, Judi

Ine said...

There is SO MUCH about him that reminds me of Tuva, I could almost write the same things about her. Except she has a different approach when it comes to getting away with stuff she can't do. The first two or three no's, she pretends not to hear. But then when I say it more strictly or remove her from what she is not allowed to do, she gived me "the look". She stares at me with those huge eyes, her eyebrowes raises and her bottom lip sticks out. And she sobs. "Puh.. puh.. puh.. puh..." It is so OBVIOUS that this is not crying, but she doesn't seem to notice us not falling for it. At this point, diversion is the best way to go. ;)

Nina said...

Oh he's gonna enjoy these posts so much! You write with so much love and affection! He is beautifully perfect in all his wild "imperfections". The sweetest cub ever!

Colleen said...

Thank you for the really lovely comments ladies!
Judi, yes, he is a Wilson without a doubt!! It explains everything.:) 6 weeks with Mama Kelly and look what happens!!:)
Ine...maybe William and Tuva are soul mates?:) She sounds too funny with the eyes and phony crying! Talk about character already!:) Something tells me we are going to have our hands full with these ones!:)
And thanks Nina, it really means a lot that you enjoy my writing...hope to see you soon?

Angela said...

oh my goodness gracious, I burst out laughing when I saw the first pic..too precious and funny!!

I have two boys, than the girl. The home daycare I run,,well I totally agree...raised by wolves, all boys. They are always grunting, growling and making strange noises..the girls are just too busy yapping away with words, than the boys are well being wolves,,LOL

Lexy @ Quirky Explosion said...

AWWW. This is such a sweet post. I'm so in awe of your relationship. It's beautiful! He's so precious. You've got to post a video of him. Videos of children are ALWAYS the best! ALWAYS. Do it? OKAY! :)

And HEY NOW, wolves are pretty cool.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Felisol said...

He's looking like a sleeping angel.
Oh, please enjoy these few precious years you have him for yourself in your world.
Times newer flies so swiftly as when you have little children.
Later on, you'll cherish every single moment.
I just met with another young fellow on my blog comments. He painted his grandpa's kitchen while the adults were engaged elsewhere.
Looks like they all have a good laugh and a good time cleaning up the incredible mess.
I admire that mother.

Colleen said...

Aren't little boys funny Angela? My mom said the same thing, she has always noticed that it's boys who make these wild sounds and play roughly like they are little cubs!:)
Thank you Lexy, I have a few videos of him but they never seem to really do him justice.:)
Felisol, thank you for your kind words, I know what you mean, the days do fly by far too quickly. It's with such mixed or maybe bittersweet joy that I watch him grow and change. And you're right, these are precious moments to cherish later in life.
Great story by the way!! Sounds hilarious!:)

Pia said...

Boys (and girls) with a lot of energy - great! I would be worried if he sat down, all quiet, not moving, not playing, not growling;)
Your son is gorgeous! Love the photos!
Thanks for the poem in my blog - my poems suck...
Have a great weekend!

Colleen said...

I totally agree with you Pia! I would definitely be worried if he were listless and dull! :)
And you poems were fabulous, they inspired me...I would never have written about purple shoes otherwise.;)
Hope your weekend is wonderful too!