Search This Blog :

Friday, 30 July 2010

And I Could So Happily Be A Beach Bum For The Rest of My Days...



Yes, a beach bum living in a little beach hut who goes out every morning searching for bits of driftwood and beach glass and lovely whimsical seashells. Feet splashing in the cool water, sand between my toes. Sun shining radiant beams of light and color on the endless, stretching water. The smell of salt and sand in the air. Dried starfish. Waves lapping gently at the shore. Eternal. Insignificant. Tiny in a huge world. Meaning and art instead of business and money. Ah, I could have been a marvelous hippie...

Or a gypsy queen. A wanderer. A traveler. Eyes shielded against the sun. The exotic jingle of an arm full of bangles. Sleeping under the stars, catching trains to unknown destinations. Not knowing where in the great wide world I'll end up. Wild colors and irregular patterns of life. Free and powerful in that freedom. What if I would have been born a gypsy queen?

Or a writer. A poor, penniless writer. Sitting in dark, smoky Parisian cafes. Like Ernest Hemingway. Indulging in my own movable feast. A gormet feast of people watching and words...sights and explorations...I'd certainly wear a dreary hat and have a steaming cup of coffee before me on the scarred wooden table if I could afford it that particular rainy morning. I'd watch. I'd write. I'd wander the city streets in deep thought. Serious and obscure. I'd buy baguettes and drink too much espresso and wine and create my own world view and never buy into society's norms...

Ambitious undertakings, all of the above. Ah well, somewhere inside myself, I'm a little bit of all those things...and a little bit of an artist as well. ;)


13 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

I think you would be a splendid beach bum Colleen. Splendid as can be.

Crown of Beauty said...

This is another creative post. Frankly, when I come over to see what you have written, I never know what to expect. You are so creative, and have varied ways of expressing that creativity in written form.

I loved the things you wrote about yourself, from the gypsy, writer, beach bum/hippie paragraphs at the beginning, to the one-liners at the end... yes, it is best to talk to you and listen to you to find out more about who you are, rather than make assumptions based on nothing!

We are alike in some ways - I also have an aversion to TV. And I'd also love to collect, not tea, but coffee! My collection is more than anyone could drink in a year or more. And some of these fabulous coffee beans (from Columbia, from Italy, from Hawaii) have to discarded from time to time because of the expiry date.

Well, thanks for passing the award back to me. That really is an honor, Colleen.

Be blessed today!

Love
Lidj

Ellinor said...

Thank you for the award :) I will pass it a long to 7 other bloggers :)

Colleen said...

Thank you Becky, beach bum it shall be then, without hesitation or question.:)
Lidj, thank you so much, I appreciate your compliments so much. I always have the feeling you mean them from the heart and genuinely love hearing from you and am glad you enjoy my writing even if at times it is a little bit silly!:) You know I LOVE coffee too, your collection sounds wonderful! It's my pleasure to pass the award back, your blog is one of the most beautiful I've read. I always feel like I've stumbled upon a treasure of wisdom when I read it.
Great Ellinor! You deserve it my dear!

Modesty is Pretty said...

WHat fun you had at the beach, I wish I could come! hehe Thank you so very much for this award! I'm going to post it on my blog, I appreciate all your kind comments, God bless you so much, you and your beautiful family! =D

Lexy @ Quirky Explosion said...

Just stumbled on your blog and it's SO SWEET. Your son is absolutely adorable. I have such superb memories of frolicking about in the beach as kid. (Except for the one wear I thought it'd be fun to kill a snail. That is NOT a good memory. Dear snail, I regret it.)

And fun tidbits. Definitely agree on the last one - people tend to judge others way to quickly. Especially based upon absolutely NOTHING.

Check out mine?
QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Olga Marie said...

Vet du, nærhet til stranda og sjølivet er det eneste jeg egentlig savner der vi bor nå. For det er noe fantastisk med følelsen av sand mellom tærne, gleden av å leke på med både sand og vann, kunne løpe, snurre, hoppe, danse, le. Det er ikke det samme på plen, selv om det også er kjekt ;) Og lukten av sjøvann - mm! Finne fine skjell (nå har vi jo hagen full av skjell da, både fra Mandal, Gulen og Asia - jeg også elsker vakre ting hihi) men allikevel. Solstrålene som treffer vannet, eremittkreps, kjølig vann mot varm hud, den frie følelsen når en lett sjøbris blåser i håret.... Kos dere masse, det høres ut som at dere har a wonderful time! =D
Og tusen takk for awarden! =D

Metu said...

Åh, det kunne jeg også tenkt meg! Ingentin slår strandfølelsen :)

Gullgutten er bare til å spise opp, nå så nyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydelig :)

Kos dere og ha en fortsatt fin sommer :) Klem.

kate said...

I know what you mean! I love beaches, too! I could just lie around in the sand all day, or play in the water. Looks like a beautiful spot where you are! I am anxious to hear all your news when you can post it! Give my WillieBillie a big kiss for me, and remember you are loved! Amma and mom! Kate

Lexy @ Quirky Explosion said...

Aren't successful days at the beach SIMPLY THE BEST? I spent the day (slash part of the day) at the beach today with my baby cousins! Forgot how fun and magical it is there - but it totally is!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Judi Dudek said...

Colleen, I just wish there was a button that sent you a big sigh...and a hug...and kisses...you know beach bums also surf! Of course that would be tough with the bangles and skirts! Kisses and love to Little Boo, enjoy the rest of your summer!

Colleen said...

Thank you Shey! I enjoyed passing the award on to you!
Dear Lexy thank you for visiting and for your fun comments! Poor poor snail though...the things we do when young and crazy.;)
Olga Marie it sounds as though you had a heavenly place to grow up...most people only get to experience those special things once in a rare while...I can understand why you miss that. Beautiful memories!
Takk Metu, ha en fin sommer du og.:)
Mom and Judi, big big kisses back to you both! You would have laughed to see the crazy man on the beach...next summer though right?:)
Love you!

Nina said...

I've been missing you honey! Thx for sharing your inside world with us! I just love reading your blog, you're such a marvellous writer! Sometimes I'm dreaming of being all of these things too!