Search This Blog :

Monday, 5 April 2010

There's A Wild Thing Upstairs...



This wild thing seems an expert in wild ferocious sounding shrieks and roars; low, rumbling growling sounds that come from the bottom of his throat (I swear I didn't teach him these); and joyful gales of giggles that erupt from his bedroom and float down the stairs long after he's been put to bed and to be totally honest with you, the best word I can think of to describe his actual laughter is all out "guffaw".

There are two things that this wild thing finds unbearably awful. The first is having his face wiped, which he finds the very height of presumption on my part. The second is when I put a hat on his head. He doesn't cry or fuss when I do this. He scrunches up his eyes and glares at me, clenches his fists and shakes them in the air and roars with outrage at me. I think he thinks it's a fearful sight to behold. But you know what, he's smaller than I am and so I laugh, which obviously just rubs salt in the wound, and that hat goes on.

There is one thing the wild thing loves above all else. In Sri lanka we bought him blue dolphin chimes and he is entranced by them. When he wakes up, after giving an encouraging, cheerful little yell, (there are so many sorts you see), to let us know he's awake and we can come get him this very instant, he twists his head in the direction of the chimes. So we go over to them and give them a nudge and as they make their soft sound and the dolphins sway back and forth, a look of blissful awe comes over his face. Then a slow, slow smile. And then he starts hitting me in excitement and squealing in delight and frantically twisting his head between me and the chiming dolphins to make sure than I find this as wondrous as he does. How could I find it otherwise?

He kicks constantly in his crib with all his might and every time I enter his room after a nap, he is in some bizarre position. But even with one arm and one leg poking through the crib bars, he offers up a huge smile like this is the most normal way to sleep in the world.

He has a great sense of his own self worth and self importance. He simply is charming in his own opinion. Yogurt splattered all over his face? Oatmeal dribbling out of his mouth? Huge belches at the table? Appallingly stinky diaper? No, he feels none of these things detract from his innate charm. He beams at the camera just the way he is and is suitably outraged if anyone tries to make him more presentable. Why tamper with perfection after all? :)

So William, my sweet, silly little boo, with your huge brown eyes and beautiful smile: this is a tiny, woefully incomplete glimpse of how you were when you were in the ninth month of your life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! boo sounds like the typically happy little nine month old...I loved this age the most..kinda walking, but still cuddely, actually if truth be told, I love every age....the panic is different but the love is still amazing. The parental panic I meant...still panic when I can't reach one of mine...but love when they're out doing their own thing! Judi Dudek

kate said...

Make sure you copy this onto paper for his baby book! He will laugh like crazy about it when he is older!

Colleen said...

Thank you Judi and my own dear Mama!:) Yes, it IS a wonderful, funny age...he is such a little show off and learning new things all the time and I'm afraid that as most parents do, we find it all so precious but there's a good possibility that others don't find it quite so amazing as we do that he shakes his head back and forth and other such marvels!:) Haha! I bet you've had your fair share of both excitement and panic with Callie gallivanting around Europe!:) Hope she gets home safely!!
Mom, I will do...I don't have a baby book yet but it's fun to try and capture even just a bit of how he is now and the strange little things he does!:) Just you wait and see!!:)

Ine said...

"There are two things that this wild thing finds unbearably awful. The first is having his face wiped, which he finds the very height of presumption on my part. The second is when I put a hat on his head. He doesn't cry or fuss when I do this. He scrunches up his eyes and glares at me, clenches his fists and shakes them in the air and roars with outrage at me."


I can't believe it, this is like reading about Tuva! Feeding time: After every spoonful of "grøt", she puts her thumb in her mouth, spits some of the "grøt" out, and rubs it all over her face. Every time the "grøt" gets in her nose and she has trouble breathing (which happens A LOT!) I reach for the cloth, and she starts screaming. It seems like having her face wiped is actually worse than not beeing able to breathe because your nostrals are filled with "grøt"... Hats: when she sees it, fear is written all over her face, and she starts making these "eeh! eeeeh!"-sounds. When the hat goes on, her back twists, har face turns red, her fist go in the air and she screams.. no, she roars. It's not crying, it's yelling at me. I bet it's even swearing at me.. But the hat does go on every time. ;)

"And then he starts hitting me in excitement and squealing in delight". This is also like reading about Tuva! One time something was so funny that she slapped me in my face so hard that my cheek turned red. I can't seem to remember what it was that was so funny, but I hope it never happens again... ;)

I love reading about William!!

Triin said...

I just love this one! And he will love it when he reads it as a grown up! Love, Triin

Triin said...

I just love this one! And he will love it when he reads it as a grown up! Love, Triin

Colleen said...

And Ine, I love reading about Tuva so we're even!!:) You kno, when we compare notes, I think our little Sri lankan babies are both wild things...but precious beyond words too of course.:)
Thank you Triin! I enjoy writing about the silly little ways of William and yes, it is kind of like a record for him when he's older too...I don't want to forget how he is but I'm sure it happens...

Janet said...

You know what I love about this post? All the little details that you notice. Not many parents are able to write about their children the way you do or even take the time to notice all these "little" things.

I love the fact that I'm getting to know your little boy through your writing even though I haven't met him yet :o) Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop! :o)