Search This Blog :

Monday, 15 March 2010

A Blatant Disregard For Authority


















The authority being me. The one blatantly disregarding it: William.

Yes, he's sweet. Yes, he has a smile that lights up the room but...BUT...
this rebel-child, this tiny soon to be nine months old... renegade, has somewhere learned a charming little trick while eating that I wouldn't mind nipping in the bud. I shovel a spoonful of porridge of dubious taste I admit, into his eagerly opened mouth and smile a goofy smile at him saying "mmmmm, yuuuuuuuummmmmmy" in an exaggerated voice and he...well..here's where his behavior turns shocking I'm afraid, so at least you've been warned and won't faint dead away when you read this...he spits it backs out at me in all it's slobbery, messy glory. And as slimy brown threads of his meal hang from his mouth, and as I wipe them from my own face, he has the audacity to grin at me.

But that's not all.

I take a deep breath and give him a very stern look. Yes. I don't call myself "authority figure" for nothing! So I turn this stern look on William and say in a voice that I flatter myself brooks no argument "No!...nei!...stop!..." All the while I continue to look at him disapprovingly.

And to my surprise, he opens his mouth and shrieks with wild laughter! Forget my last post, this is the laughter of a maniac! Not just small giggles but peals of it, a devious grin wrinkling his face.

Now, I work in an international kindergarten with toddlers. I am used to disobedience on a large scale. :) But at the end of the day, as much as I always have loved the little ones I care for at The Children's House, they don't come home with me. I don't actually have to deal with their charmingly ill-mannered behavior anywhere but at work so it's all good.

But this is like bold, bold civil unrest in my own home. Unapologetic, I tell you. A mutiny of sorts. He has an angel on one shoulder and a wickedly grinning little devil on the other!

So...please...can anyone tell me...
How in the world do I go about reclaiming my dignity with gooey brown muck dripping off my face? Actually, how do you deal firmly with pesky yet absolutely lovable, baby boys without...laughing?! Is this impossible? Because if it isn't, I just want to know now and then I can give in quietly.

;)

14 comments:

Kate said...

heehee, your little one is playing with you! I remember another 9 month old, who used to play just this way and her name was.... well... Colleen!

Colleen said...

I never spit my food out?! Surely not.:)

Zion said...

awww, charming fellow ;) No there is no way to NOT laugh when covered in brown muck, this is why I recommend green babyfood, it's easier to look serious sporting a green spatter on your face LOL

What a loveable little guy! - he's the sweetest ever :)

Colleen said...

Haha, love it S├Žunn, you are so funny!:)
Ok, so brown is out with the winter and to celebrate spring, getting covered in GREEN muck is now the in-thing to do! *jots furiously in notebook* Whatever will Fall 2010's colors be? Tune in in a few months time...;)

Susan said...

My dear, I'd love to tell you that it will get better, unfortunatly I don't think that is the case. Logan is a great fan of being unruly and does so all the while smiling sweetly. The only thing you can do is wipe the porridge from your eyebrows and try again with another bite. :)

Ine said...

I LOVE IT! :D

Colleen said...

Thank you Susan and Ine! I guess patience and patience in abundance is the key here...:)
And Ine, so glad you enjoyed it!!:)

Rebecca said...

It ALL comes back to me! Enjoy. And learn along with him.

Triin said...

I love that one :) And I know exactly how you feel...I have one of those little guys at home. He laughs to my face every time I make firm face. Sometimes I can`t help but start laughing try to do it in another room :) Triin

Mary-anne said...

haha, way to go william!
what a wild thing.
perhaps i shouldn't have started reading him "where the wild things are" at such a young age.
it seems he learnt a thing of two.
my little king of the wild things.
<3

Colleen said...

Mary-Anne, I blame this wholly on you and your evil influence and wild wild ways. What choice does William possibly have when you introduced him to "Where the Wild Things Are" at such a tender and impressionable age.:)

KATE said...

My boys were all Wild Things.... LOL! I think they are supposed to be!

Colleen said...

Isn't it funny how they have all grown into such serious and sedate young men now though? ;)

Janet said...

Well at least he's a happy baby... imagine going through all of this with a baby that cries all the time and is simply... moody :o)

Count your blessings girl... it could be A LOT worse LOL!!! :o)