Search This Blog :

Monday, 9 February 2009

Celebrity Appeal

To those of you who know me, you will undoubtedly find it surprising that the title of this entry is not an allusion to myself. I most definitely have an appeal of some sort but maybe not a celebrity one.

I was reminded last night how very sadly I have neglected my super informative blog in the last few months. There are several reasons for this, most vague and fuzzy, but the one I believe it most to be is that sometimes in one's life, the momentous takes place and then you find really that words are not enough, words diminish what is precious about the emotions one feels. It is almost a selfish thing, wanting to hold your own knowledge close to your heart because to you it is precious, it makes you too vulnerable and somewhere deep inside you fear desperately that others won't find it as wonderful as you do.

October 24th was my 28th birthday, a day that this year at least, didn't seem worth celebrating.

Per and I went away to Mandal for my birthday weekend and when we returned Sunday evening, there was an official letter in the mail saying we had been approved to adopt! I saw that we had been approved on October 23rd, and this was special to me as it was my grandma Leona's birthday, who I loved immensely and who passed away just months before I came to Norway to live.

Along with the approval we also received the news that we would not be able to adopt from our chosen country, Ethiopia, at present because there were so many families waiting. Articles published in adoption magazines suggested that this increase of interest in Ethiopia was brought on by the celebrities who have adopted from there. For a very brief time, I grumbled about people who want to adopt just because Angelina Jolie does and then it struck me...a blinding revelation of sorts...who cares? Who cares why people want to adopt, to take a child who needs a family into their home to love and care for, who cares? So long as they do!

So we were given a choice between Sri Lanka and the Philippines, and where as before we had months to decide and get used to the idea of Ethiopia, now we had at best a couple days to choose from these countries about which we knew very little! So one October evening sitting in our favorite Indian restaurant in Stavanger, we decided. And we chose Sri Lanka!! (After all, Sri Lanka is very close to India and sitting there eating delicious Indian food inspired the hope in us that Sri Lankan food was just as delicious...;)

For interests sake the length of time between beginning the adoption process and the actual approval was 9 months. It took another 2 months to collect all the subsequent papers needed after the approval and 1 month until the papers reached their destination.

6 comments:

mommie2CapitolKing said...

So, now I'm curious, do you have some date set for the adoption to take place? - and I can't wait to see pictures of the happy family :)
It's such a wonderful thing that you are going to give a helpless little person a loving caring home, I can't think of a mother better suited then you! (((HUGS)))

Kate said...

So exciting!!!!!!!! It is all in Gods hands now!

Mary said...

thats so exciting!
i hope it movves along quickly for you guys!
love you much!

Colleen said...

Thank you all so much!!
S├Žunn, the date isn't set yet, basically it could be any time within the next two years!!:) I am praying and hoping it's going to be sooner rather than later!! Thanks for your kind words my friend!! Hugs to you too!

Mom and Mary...I know, it is exciting and it is in God's hands. That's not a bad combination!:)

Dawn Bell said...

i am very excited for you guys! you are honestly in my thoughts and prayers and my heart has broken for the two of you. it is exciting to be able to rejoice with you as well. and now the waiting...!
i agree with the first comment - you will be a wonderful mom, colleen.
love you lots and miss you, dear friend.

Colleen said...

Thanks Dawn. I appreciate and understand so well what you mean because it seems like instead of accepting things, so often our hearts were broken too by what we've been going through as well and finally...finally...it feels like there is some light in all of this, it's time to rejoice! And that feels so wonderful! Per and I have so appreciated all those who have stood by us through this and prayed and empathized with us...we appreciate this so much but how much better to be able to really share our happiness with others? And strangely enough, now, a year after we've begun this process, it IS happiness, it is a blessing and a joy to be able to do this! So thank you for the support that I have felt so strongly from you and Colin, even though you are far away!
Love you and miss you too and hope very much to see you in the summer in Canada!