Search This Blog :

Wednesday, 13 August 2008

How To Win Friends

April 28, 2008

While I was in Manitoba over the summer, I occasionally escaped the burning Prairie sun by browsing in Gimli’s comfortable second hand bookshop. On one visit, I happened to glance through this self-help book that was probably popular at some point called "How to Make Friends and Influence People".   In the first chapter the author states that people love to talk about themselves and a sure way of winning friends is to allow people to talk, they will love you for it.

That was the thought process going through my head this morning as I talked my way from my own birth, through my childhood and relationships with my parents and siblings; what subjects I liked and disliked in school; the experiences I had at a Catholic girls boarding school; to my many months of globetrotting after graduation; to meeting Per and the gradual development of friendship to love.

I do enjoy talking. I always have. When there is no actual person around to talk to, I have no problem talking to myself for hours on end. There are times I catch myself talking out loud as I walk down the road to the train station. I also laugh at the things I say and the stories I tell myself. I am really quite amusing.

Of course, I found no need to include that particular information in the interview today.

Anyway, the interview this morning was not as terrible or as frightening as I imagined it would be. In my imagination, the social worker ran her fingers along windowsills checking for dust and examined our books, movies and CD’s as a means of judging our personalities and parenting skills. In my imagination she asked obscure questions that were impossible to answer correctly and the whole scenario was panic-inducing and humiliating.

In reality, the entire interview was conducted in a calm and relaxed manner and I felt quite graciously inclined toward this woman who listened so well to everything I said and even took notes.  I quickly abandoned my nervousness because there is really nothing so lovely as talking about oneself to someone who simply listens.

I’ve strayed from the original point of this entry…I actually meant to be quite informative and impress you all but I think my giddy relief at simply having survived this weekend and this morning got the better of me.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Colleen, I am so happy that your interview went well! When will you get feedback from it?
Is it safe to make the assumption from “the interview went well” that you didn’t make your banana bread? :)
Girl I absolutely love that you have a blog I love reading your stories, you always make them come alive :) You should really look into writing your own book - no joke!
Love you girl and praying for you

Comment by Janet
April 29, 2008

Colleen said...

Thanks Wanet! I put a massive bowl of fruit on the table and then when asked if we ate healthily, I gestured to it with a superior look on my face as if to say, “Who really eats chocolate anymore? That is so yesterday!” (Actually, I also had a plate of cookies, not homemade so never fear, too.:))
I love your site too! You are a technical wonder woman!
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers Girl!

April 29, 2008

dawn said...

hey colleen,
i am SO glad to hear that everything went well and you never had a panic attack. when do you guys hear more?
your blog is so much fun to read! i am glad that you started it!

Comment by dawn

April 30, 2008

Colleen said...

Hey Dawn!:) I’m so glad to hear from you friend! We have our next interview on May 28th, but I don’t think it will be as nervewracking because in a way, it’s out of our hands altogether after that! I think it’s moving so quickly because once people hear that I was born in Portage la Prairie, they automatically think ah, that girl’s above suspicion…she was born in the city of culture and light! Ha, ha…:) Good old Portage…:)